Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why Football is King of Sports and Three Picks to Brag About

In the King of sports, Drew
Brees is probably the sports
most popular king...
No doubt about it, football is King. Heated pennant races and NBA training camps be damned, pro and college football are in season and firing on all cylinders. Sports, just like any other business, must be conscious of supply and demand and football supplies the ideal amount of product for the modern sports fan. One game, each week, three hours of your time. That's it. None of this 162 game, plus 7 game playoffs nonsense. If you want to see every snap your team takes over the course of a season, all you have to do is commit three hours to your team each Saturday or Sunday.

And thats why football is King.



Now lets take a look at three picks I can brag about and the three picks I wish I could take back:

Three Picks to Brag About:

Lions Covering 4.5 against the Eagles
-Very proud of this one. Very few of you went with the Lions, but I warned you. Shaun Hill is a gamer, and 49er fans should know this by now! Lions are vastly underated this year and are going to cover a lot of spreads, even with Matt Stafford out. They have a tough defensive line, a developing offensive line, and three solid offensive playmakers. A lot of time has passed since that 0-16 season and their going for 16-0 this year. Against the spread that is.

Steelers covering 5 points against the Titans
- Well it only took me one week to reverse my stance on betting against Chris Johnson. I forgot to mention my other rule, which is to never bet against an underated Steelers team, which is getting favorable spreads right now with Ben Roethlisberger out. The Steelers defense is awesome. It dosent matter that the team is an ankle sprain away from starting Antwan Randle El at quarterback right now. The D only needs one, maybe two scores from the offesne to ensure victory each week.

LSU beating Mississippi St by more than 8
- This game was dubbed the "wise guys" pick of the week as many believed that a young Miss St. team, which nearly beat LSU last year, would at least cover, if not win. But not so fast my friend. My Tigers looked strong, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Led by Drake Nevis, Kelvin Shepard and the other-worldly Patrick Patterson, the defense has morphed into a ball hawking, big hitting, quarterback attacking SOB. Additionally, Jordan Jefferson showed the poise and confidence that we have been counting on from him all year. Look out Alabama, LSU is getting their swag on!

*Honorable Mention: 49ers covering against the Saints
- I have already disccused this game ad nauseum, but i was the only one to pick the 49ers to cover. Shame on you 49er's fans. Forever faithful. To bad I still owe Lance a steak....errrrr

Three Picks I want to Take Back

Ole Miss to beat Vanderbilt
- Damn you Ole Miss and your overall suckiness. I even posted in my column that Ole Miss was vastly overated, and would have a tough time getting aclimated to Jermiah Masoli. I knew they would have a tough time with Vandy, but i didnt thing they would loose by two touchdowns. If I could do this one again I would have taken note of what I was preaching, and gone with Vandy. Next up a pathetic 2.5 point spread against Fresno St at home. Ole miss fans, your not going to stoop as low as 1-3 with a loss to Fresno St. are you?

Buffallo to cover against Green Bay
- What the hell was I thinking. The Bills are terrible. Like, really terrible. Why I thought they would have any chance of hanging with Green Bay, in Green Bay, is beyond me. Wont happen again. This could be an 0-16 season for the Bills against the spread, and possibly an 0-16 season for real as well.

Jacksonville to cover against the Chargers
- Dont know why I had confidence in the Jaguars, who had to travel 3,200 miles to play this one. Now that I think about it, I can barely name two players on the Jaguars right now. Is David Garrard still the quarterback? Moral of the story; don't gamble on teams to cover large spreads when you cant name more than two players on their team.

------------------------------------
Now for the YTD Pick'em leaderboard: (Remember that primetime NFL games count as two points)
------------------------------------

SEC Week 2 Results:

DPLsuPhi- 6
Kyle- 5
Caroline- 5
Lance- 5
Jeremy- 4
Keith- 4
King-3

SEC Overall Leaderboard:

DplsuPhi- 14
Kyle- 13
Lance- 11
Jeremy- 11
Keith- 11
King- 10
Sledge- 10
--------------------------------------------

NFL Picks Week 2:

Kyle- 13
Daniel- 11
April- 10
King- 10
Jeremy- 8
Buby- 7
Lance- 7

NFL Overall Leaderboard: (if you missed a week, you get the lowest score)

Kyle- 21
April- 19
Buby- 18
Daniel- 17
King- 16
Andre- 15
Vick- 15
Caroline- 13
Jeremy- 13
--------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment