Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Week 4 SEC Pick Em

I like both these guys to win
in big games this week
After a relatively slow week of College Football, we get some marquee match ups here in week 4. Alabama at Arkansas looks to be the most important, as both teams are jockeying for position behind LSU in the SEC West. Click the jump for insight, analysis and predictions for the upcoming slate of games.

And as always, leave your own picks in the comments section below.


UAB @ Tennessee -13.5

Rocky Top looks like their hitting Rock Bottom this year. I played against UT last week and I'm playing against them again this week. I know absolutely zero things about UAB other than the fact that you can mention Squeaky Johnson or Mo Finley to any Kentucky Basketball fan and it will bring a cringe to their faces. For that fact alone, go Blazers.

The Pick: UAB

Alabama @ Arkansas +7

Very tempted to take the Hogs here, but I first have to consider rule number one of gambling. REMOVE ALL EMOTION! Am I leaning towards Arkansas because that's what I actually think will happen, or because it's what I want to happen? From an objective, unemotional standpoint, the Hogs still look like they could win this game, or at least cover a generous seven point spread. I think Ryan Mallet is the real deal and will be able to beat the Bama secondary for at least one big play, the Hogs almost beat Bama last year in Tuscaloosa if it wasn't for some terrible calls in Alabama's favor and this is Arkansas biggest home game of the year. Never count out a team in there biggest home game of the year. Each of these reasons has me leaning towards the Hogs. The factor that tilts the scales towards me picking Arkansas is that I want to let out a Woo Pig Soooooiiii after they win or cover the spread. Woo pig!

The pick: Razorbacks

Kentucky @ Florida -14

I am still a fan of Brantley and I think the Gators are going to start rolling sooner rather than later. They picked up some steam last week in UT, and they get another terrible team this week at home in the swamp. I'm going with the Gator Chomp in a route.

The Pick: Gators

Georgia @ Mississippi St. -1

Typically teams that play SEC heavyweights Alabama, Florida or LSU, do not fair well the following week. It takes a lot of preparation, time and intensity to get geared up for a game against the big three, which, combined with the physical nature of playing the big boys, often leads to a letdown against the next weeks opponent. Additionally, Georgia lost a tough one at home to Arkansas and will be looking to rebound on the road in Starkville.

The pick: Georgia

Fresno State @ Ole Miss -2.5

I can't name you one player on Fresno State's team. I cant even tell you if they have won a game this year. But as Vanderbilt showed us last week, even the Bad News Bears could beat Ole Miss right now. Of course I am going with Fresno State. The embarrassment in Oxford continues.

The Pick: Fresno St.

South Carolina @ Auburn -3

I love USC. The SEC version that is. They have a punishing, upper-class-led defense, Pepe Garcia, or whatever his name is, finally figured out how to play quarterback and they have Lamarcus Lattimore. Oh Lamarcus Lattimore. Nearly an LSU recruit, slipped out of our hands and into USC's. Wow he is explosive. He is going to be a difference maker every game he plays in. And that includes this week's, against Auburn.

The Pick: Gamecocks

West Virginia @ LSU -9.5

LSU. Analysis over. Only bold predicition for this game is that I will survive 12 hours of tailgating, 4 quarters of football and a tequila fueled after party at Serrano's. God help my liver.

The Pick: Purple and Gold

--------------------

Stanford @ Notre Dame +4.5

Stanford, led by future 49ers QB Andrew Luck, is looking to garner some national attention by beating the Golden Domers on the road. The Cardinal, in large part due to Jim Harbaugh, who will either be coaching in the NFL or at a college powerhouse next year, are a vastly underated team this year. Their defense is tenacious and disciplined, their offensive line is strong and effective and Andrew Luck is a star. Speaking of Luck, God surely wont let two Bay Area products slip through the 49ers hands will he? We may have missed out on Aaron Rodgers, but not on Andrew Luck. Its destiny.

The Pick: Stanford Cardinal

UCLA @ Texas -15.5

I needed another game to put on the slate, so this is the one. I guess I'll stick to my California roots and go with the Bruins. Texas has had some offensive troubles this year and looks a little overrated in my opinion. I would say their is close to a zero percent chance that UCLA wins this game, because the Longhorn defense is nasty, but I thinking they can at least cover the spread.

The Pick: UCLA

Oregon State @ Boise St. -17

I am counting on Boise State to run up the score on the "smurf turf," looking to impress poll voters with a blowout win against ranked, yet flawed, Oregon State. 


The Pick: Boise St. (who WILL play in the National Championship this year)

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UT, Bama, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, South Carolina, LSU, Stanford, Texas, Boise State

    ReplyDelete
  3. UT, Bama, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, South Carolina, West Virginia, Notre Dame, UCLA, Oregon St

    ReplyDelete
  4. UT, Arkansas, Floridam Georgia, Fresno St, USC, LSU, Stanford, Texas, Boise St

    ReplyDelete
  5. UT, Bama, Florida, Georgia, Fresno St, USC, West Virginai, Stanford, Teaxas, Oregon ST

    ReplyDelete
  6. UT, Arkansas, Florida, Miss St, Ole Miss, USC, LSU, Stanford, Texas, Boise St

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lance's refuse to lose to someone in med school picks:
    Tenn, Alabammer, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, LSUUUU (blowout), Stanford (another blowout), Texas, 2010 BCS Champs Boise St.,
    Auburn (quick rant of my own)
    No homo but I love Cam Newton outta Auburn and I hate auburn. Hes big, he can throw, he can run, last week he proved he can deal with pressure situations. He's everything Jordan Jefferson should be ... :o(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tenn, alabama, florida, georgia, ole miss, lsu, stanford, texas, boise st., south carolina.

    ReplyDelete