Friday, February 11, 2011

When is March Madness Already?

I coach basketball, I don't go out much, dont have many hobbies, and write a sports blog... so yes, I have already filled out multiple march madness brackets. (Courtesy of bracketologist Joe Lunardi, if you were wondering.)

So who do I like for the Final Four you ask? 







1- Ohio St

As somebody who has a quasi-addiction to selecting underdogs and bracket busters, it is very difficult for me to agree with common opinion and select Ohio St. as my strongest Final Four contender. But the truth is, the Buckeyes are loaded. They have depth, size and strong guard play, not to mention that one guy... um, oh yeah. Jared Sullinger. Most impressive about the Buckeyes? Not only are they the 7th best team in the nation at not turning the ball over, they are the 10th best team in the nation in forcing their opponents into turnovers. (Which is unheard of and should mega impress you)


2- Texas


Again, I desperately want to go against the grain here, but Texas is a terrifying team right now. And to my credit, I put Texas on my final four radar as a sleeper long before they beat Kansas and grabbed the attention of the nation. ( I have no way to prove this.) So what do I love about the Longhorns? Um, how about everything! Love Jordan Hamilton, a true NBA prospect and scorer who gets it done defensively as well, balanced scoring and a huge helping of defense. And oh my what a defense it is. The best in the last five years in my humble opinion. Opponents literally cannot even get in their offensive sets, let alone score on these Longhorns.


3- Pittsburgh


I don't listen to many ESPN "experts" or track top 25 propaganda, so its hard for me to tell if Pitt is a sleeper or a favorite, but I sure can tell you that I LOVE DEM PANTHERS!!! Here are four reasons I love the Panthers Final Four chances this year:


1- Balanced Scorers (three guys who can light it up any night)
2- Rugged Defenders (Jamie Carrol wouldn't have it any other way)
3- Big time rebounders. (Pitt is the number one team at giving themselves second chances on the offensive boards.
4- Jamie Carrol is freakin due! This guy is to good a coach to not have gone to a Final Four. This team, with its upper class leaders, is Dixons best shot at popping the Final Four cherry.


4- Washington


U Dub as I call it, (yes I know I didn't in any way make that up, but I live in Memphis, these people will never know) is my ultimate sleeping giant in this years March Madness. They have all the makings of a sleeper Final Four team.


- Sweet 16 appearance last year
- Stud coach (Lorenzo Romar)
- Two senior stars (Thomas and Amining)
- A roster full of shooters
- And the 8th most efficient offense in the nation.


And the best part? 7 Losses so far, with mid-season turmoil! Woo hoo, just what the doctor ordered to keep the national media off the Huskies scent, making me look look a propheciser (is that a word?) come tournament time!

3 comments:

  1. Florida is a Final Four team. They are hot at the right time. The Gators make it over Washington. My Final Four: Florida, Pitt, Texas, Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when March Madness comes around. I'm a huge fan of teams in Baton Rouge because I attended Southern University and I have a lot of LSU friends. I know that they are having a bad season but I will still support them. Most of the time I just watch the games when I get home but sometimes I can't wait so I watch it straight on my iPhone! I work and subscribe to DISH Network and when I'm at work or on-the-go, I watch this game and any other games on this channel using the TV Everywhere function in the DISH Remote Access app. The app is free and it let's you watch live or pre-recorded games from your DVR on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or any Android supported device. I love it and I am always recommending that people come to DISH Network and I am inviting anyone who comes across this post to explore DISH Network and experience a value unseen by any other TV provider!

    *Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. hindsight 20/20, my bracket busted!!

    ReplyDelete